Custom Nickel Metal Hydride
Custom Power manufactures custom nickel metal hydride battery packs and assemblies. Our battery design team uses the latest mechanical and electronic design tools to optimize the reliability, safety and manufacturability of your custom battery packs. This gives you the most cost effective and dependable nickel metal hydride battery pack solution for your specific needs. NiMh cells and batteries are generally lower cost than lithium rechargeable cells and batteries and are not as heavily regulated.
View individual product specifications for individual nickel metal hydride batteries.
Custom Nickel Metal Hydride Battery Packs & Assemblies
Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) cells have gained in popularity since the late 1980s. Steady increases in performance have made this chemistry an excellent choice for small, lightweight, portable, and handheld battery packs & battery assemblies applications.
Nickel Metal Hydride Battery Advantages
Among the advantages of Nickel Metal Hydride battery packs and assemblies are no recycling issues, 30% to 40% more capacity than a NiCd cell the same size, less prone to memory effect than NiCd, and competitively priced (especially compared to lithium-ion).
Nickel Metal Hydride Battery Disadvantages
Nickel Metal Hydride, however, does have some down sides. Nickel Metal Hydrides only yield about 500 cycles, charging is more complex than NiCd, they may require passive safety devices for protection against short circuits and overheating, and Nickel Metal Hydride loses its charge about twice as fast as NiCd.
Best Practices for Charging Nickel Metal Hydride Batteries
Like NiCds, Nickel Metal Hydrides prefer a constant current charge. Standard charge is also C/10 for 14 hours, and should have a timer for termination. Nickel Metal Hydride batteries can take a charge in as little as one hour with dT/dt (delta temperature ¸ delta time) or peak voltage detect termination; a timer should be used as back up in case the other methods fail to activate.
Custom Nickel Metal Hydride Battery Specifications
- Cell Voltage: 1.2V (nominal)
- Energy by Weight: 60-80 Watt Hour/Kilogram
- Energy by Volume: N/A Watt Hour/cubic centimeter •Discharge Characteristics: See charts below •Cycle Life: 500 Cycles
- Self Discharge: 30%/month
- Temperature Range: -20° C to +60° C
- Preferred Charge Methods: DT/dt - Peak Voltage Detect and Timer
- Sizes: Various Button and Round Cells
- Applications: Car telephones, Cameras, Cellular mobile telecom products, Notebook PC's, Personal digital assistants, Portable VCRs, TVs, Portable stereos and CD players, Cordless vacuum cleaners, and Applications where high-energy and small size are critical.
|Typical Charge Characteristics for a 1500mAh NiMH AA Cell||Typical Discharge Characteristics for NiMH Cells|
|Typical Cycle Life Characteristics for NiMH Cells||Typical Discharge Characteristics for NiMH Cells|